*Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way to write this review. All opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase the Vitamix through one of these links, I’ll get a small commission, and you will get free shipping!
My love for the Vitamix started young. As far back as I can remember, I have memories of my dad making us kids (me plus three brothers) all kinds of smoothies and milkshakes. My parents bought a Vitamix in 1985 for $299. Using an online inflation calculator, that would be about $550 today.
My parents have had their Vitamix for more than 25 years, and it still works like a charm!
I always dreamed of owning a Vitamix one day, but I never really thought I’d ever get one because of the hefty price tag. You can imagine my surprise and delight when the hubby got me one! You know how people always say to never get your wife anything related to cooking or exercising-SO NOT TRUE. My hubby is the best!
The Vitamix definitely looked a lot different when my parents bought it compared to now! They used to be made out of stainless steel.
I’ve had my Vitamix for over two years now, and I can truly say that I love it. I feel like it’s about time I write a Vitamix 5200 Review. It is by far my favorite thing in my kitchen…maybe even my favorite thing in the whole house!
Who is the Vitamix for?
Anybody who wants more than a blender. If you mainly just want to make a smoothie now and then, to be honest there are more affordable options out there that will still work great. If you like making most things homemade versus store-bought, the Vitamix is great to have. I make nut butters, marinades, salad dressings, sauces, and of course smoothies in the Vitamix. To me, it isn’t “just” a blender. It is more like a food processor…and a blender…and a vegetable chopper…and the love of my life.
- 2 peak horsepower motor
- variable speeds, plus low and high
- cooling mechanism
- 10 lb 9 oz
- 120 volt
- 7 year warranty (or 5 years with the refurbished one)
- The ability to completely pulverize whatever you want into liquid form.
Pros and Cons
- Power-extremely high power is what’s really special about the Vitamix.
- Easy to use-only two knobs and one dial.
- Easy to clean-put in a couple cups of hot water, a drop of soap, and run it on high for a few seconds. That’s it!
- Speed control-anywhere from very slow to very fast allows you to make a variety of things.
- Versatility-I make smoothies, nut butters, marinades, butter, sauces, soups, chop vegetables, and even grind flour! You can check out my Vitamix recipes if you’d like.
- Strong container-you can drop it and it won’t break!
- Long warranty and great customer service-Vitamix stands behind their product.
- Very loud-I normally cover my ears with my hands when I use it.
- Pricey-But for me it is worth it to spend more upfront rather than ending up replacing several blenders over the years. Also, there are ways to save money. You can get a reconditioned one (that’s what the hubby got me). It is still just as good, but less costly than brand new. The reconditioned one costs $329 for the 5200. You can also get free shipping by using this code: 06-009889
- Soups-the Vitamix can “cook” soups by blending them for several minutes. I tried several different recipes for this, but never liked how they came out. Now I just make soups on the stove, and will use the Vitamix to blend or puree them. I know other people have had success with this, I just haven’t yet.
- Can’t fit under the counter– the Vitamix base with the 64 ounce container won’t fit under a standard counter top. There is a smaller container that will, and there are also some newer models that will fit under the counter. This isn’t a problem for me, as I just keep the base on the counter and put the container in a cabinet.
I have never owned any other high powered blender, but I know there are other options out there that people like. I have heard good things about Blendtec, the Ninja, and the NutriBullet, but I have never personally tried any of these.
How to buy
If you decide you want to buy the Vitamix, you can purchase any of the models through the link below. And guess what…If you buy it through this link you can get free shipping, plus I get a small commission. Win for you and win for me!
The link will take you to the refurbished site, which is what I recommend for the most bang for your buck, but you can get the free shipping no matter which one you buy.
Vitamix free shipping code: 06-009889
My Tearful Goodbye
I am leaving Monterey, CA and going overseas for a year. I am super excited to have the chance to travel and live in a really cool place! Sadly, I have to leave my beloved Vitamix behind. I just don’t want to risk using a transformer and hurting the machine. So until next year…