Weekday mornings are B-U-S-Y! Who has time to make a healthy breakfast these days? Good thing my favorite breakfast only takes 5 minutes to make.
Rice and Eggs is not only simple to make, but it is much healthier than eating sugar packed cereal, pop tarts, or a nutri-grain bar in the morning. It keeps me completely fueled up for a morning workout and keeps me full all the way until lunch! If I eat cereal in the morning, I’m hungry by the time I get to work.
This month’s Recipe ReDux challenged us to “break out of breakfast boredom”. The great thing about rice and eggs is you can eat it just like that, or add something else to spice it up!
My favorite thing to add is sautéed mushrooms. I also often throw it over a bed of spinach or use leftover vegetables from the night before. Like Siracha sauce? Dash it on top? Favorite food avocado? Add a few slices. Craving some extra protein? Add some shredded chicken. Make it your own.
- 1 cup of your favorite cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of your choice of fat (I like to use butter)
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Siracha Sauce
- Leftover Veggies
- Add a little water and warm leftover rice in a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Make an egg any way you like it, and add it on top.
- Most often, I fry an egg in one tablespoon of butter, then drizzle the butter from the pan over the rice. YUM!
- Add in anything else you'd like. Enjoy!
Please make sure to check out some of the other breakfast recipes below to give your morning a fresh start.