Happy National Nut Day!
(And no, I’m not talking about your crazy uncle or co-worker)
In honor of this special day, The Recipe ReDux has challenged us to share a healthy nut-filled recipe. A moderate amount of nuts can add a healthy punch to your daily diet. These nutty chocolate protein bars make a great post-workout snack!
You can use this homemade nutella recipe or you can just double the peanut butter. The choice is yours, but I like it better with the nutella. This time I made these with hazelnuts, pecans, peanuts, almonds, and cashews, which is what I happened to have on hand. Delicious nutty goodness.
The ASL version of the recipe is below:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup homemade nutella (or just use double the peanut butter)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 cups mixed nuts, chopped
- dash of salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Add the coconut oil, peanut butter, homemade nutella, and honey to a small saucepan and melt on low heat.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour the melted mixture into the dry mixture and stir. Let cool in bowl for 5-10 minutes.
- Line a pan with wax paper and spoon mixture into it. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Cover with wax paper on top and then press the bottom of a glass into it, compressing the nuts and making the top smooth (see video).
- Place in fridge to cool. Cut into bars or squares. Keep refrigerated.
Be sure to check out some other healthy recipes with nuts below!