Hey friends! How is summer treating everyone? I hope you’re enjoying days full of sunshine, hiking, biking, climbing, canoeing, kayaking, and more!
Need a cheap quick recipe so you can spend your days out it the sun? Annemarie’s your gal. The inspiration for this Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole came from the blog, Real Food Real Deals. I used her recipe, Chicken Rice Enchilada Skillet, as a guide, and added my own twist. This month’s Recipe ReDux theme was to celebrate another ReDuxer, so I picked her wonderful blog. If you haven’t checked out some of her recipes yet, please do.
The reason why I like Real Food Real Deals so much is because Annemarie shares the same goal as me, which is to limit processed food and make healthy meals at home, except she steps it up a notch. She also includes a price breakdown in most of her recipes, which is great when you are trying to stick to your grocery budget! Her recipes are easy and generally take less than 30 minutes!
You can freeze it too!
One of the best parts, you can FREEZE it! I love meals that can be made ahead and frozen. Here’s a few other freeze ahead meals:
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Easy Beef Chili
- Vegetable Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Clean Out the Fridge Pot Pie
- Hungarian Goulash
- Leftover Turkey and Rice Soup
- Mom’s Chicken Pot Pie
Here’s my version of the skillet enchilada dish.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 18 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can black olives (3.8oz)
- 1 can green chilis (4 oz)
- 3 tbs arrowroot
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- toppings (avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, etc)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add oil to 12 inch cast iron skillet and bring up to medium/high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the spices and stir to coat and cook an additional 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cooked rice, tomato sauce, chicken stock, black olives, and green chilis. Stir.
- Add arrowroot powder to thicken. Stir. Let simmer about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese directly on top and move the skillet from the stovetop to the oven. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Broil for an additional 5 minutes to make cheese crispy on top.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Check out some of the other healthy Recipe ReDux creations below!