I am so excited to share this recipe with you! After brainstorming different ways to make avocados, I thought I’d give some sort of avocado muffins a try. I have been doing some experimenting in the kitchen lately, and came up with these lovely Whole-Wheat Avocado-Zucchini Muffins! These are so good! I used a standard zucchini bread recipe and modified it by using white whole wheat flour, honey instead of sugar, and coconut oil instead of butter.
I am getting spoiled with the avocado prices here. The grocery store I normally shop at sells them for 69 cents, but you can even find them cheaper. I finally had a chance to stop at the little produce shop off the highway last week, and they have the cheapest avocados I have ever seen!
Check that out! Ten avocados for one dollar!!!! That is crazy cheap! Now they are pretty small, I’d say 2-3 little avocados would equal about 1 regular sized hass avocado. They have regular sized ones for 25 cents each though. So that is still pretty darn good. I ended up getting a whole bag for $2.50, making me one happy avocadoholic!
Avocado is like butter in its consistency. I sometimes spread it on bread, and often eat Avocado on Toast. I have heard of people substituting avocado for butter in recipes, but had never tried it myself. That was before the whole-wheat avocado-zucchini muffins of course.
The great thing about these muffins is they freeze well. With it just being the hubby and me, it takes us a while to eat an entire batch of something. I put the muffins in the freezer in a ziploc bag and take them out as needed. This is perfect for packing a lunch! I just take one out in the morning and put it in my lunchbox, and by lunchtime it is thawed. Or you can pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it will taste like it just came out of the oven!
These muffins also taste really good with homemade nutella!
- 3 eggs
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup coconut oil (give or take, depending on the size of your avocado)
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups white whole wheat four (I use King Arthur)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- beat eggs in a large bowl
- scoop the flesh of the avocado into a glass measuring cup and mash it with a fork until it is smooth and creamy. Level the avocado in the measuring cup as evenly as possible
- add about ½ cup coconut oil in the measuring cup on top of the avocado, until you have one cup. This measurement can vary slightly depending on the size of your avocado, just make sure the avocado and oil together equal one cup
- add the avocado, coconut oil, and honey to the bowl with the eggs and mix thoroughly
- in a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pecans if using
- stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients
- divide batter into muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean