Ever get in a lunch rut?
Need new ideas for packing your kids’ or your own lunch? Are packable noontime options dwindling?
My everyday lunch for the last
month forever has consisted of the following…
Ziplock Bag of Carrots
Ziplock Bag of Snap Peas
and (possibly) an Apple
I know…B.O.R.I.N.G. (actually, I never get tired of the avocado). I do this because I am lazy and it requires absolutely no planning. It takes me exactly two minutes in the morning to throw it in my bag. Well this month The Recipe Redux challenged me to get out of the rut, so I got a little more creative and mixed things up. I came up with this delicious Crunchy Cannelloni Bean Salad.
Here’s the nutrition breakdown:
Now I’m ready to go to work with a healthy salad to keep me fueled for the day! Oh and isn’t my lunch box cool? I’ve been using this laptop lunches lunch box for a few years now. It’s great because it’s slim and can easily fit into a backpack or messenger bag (very helpful when bike riding to work!).
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! And if you’ve never checked out The Recipe Redux before, take a look if you can. They have lots of healthy recipes. If it weren’t for them, I’d still be eating a random assortment of veggies for lunch.
Cannellini Bean Salad
- juice of 2 lemons (save zest)
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- ½ shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1 can cannellini beans (check the back and make sure no extra stuff...aka sugar...is added)
- 1 stalk celery, cut small
- 2 tablespoons capers
- zest from 1 lemon
- 10 olives
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 1 tomato, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dump cannellini beans into a separate bowl, and mash about half of them until they stick together. Add celery, capers, lemon zest, about half of the dressing, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Place 1 cup spinach in a bowl. Top with ½ the cannellini bean mixture. Add 5 or so olives, ½ diced tomato, and 1 hardboiled egg. Top with more dressing. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting! Make sure you check out some other fun lunch recipes below!