As I am writing this post, this is the conversation that ensued:
Hubby: “Oh I see, so you used my rice?”
Me: Looks up with a smirk.
Hubby: “So you’re gonna take all the credit, and I created the linchpin of this recipe?”
He’s super proud of his rice.
I just made this simple 7 Ingredient Chicken and Rice with Mushroom Gravy for dinner tonight. With tax season in full force, I’m sure we can all appreciate some simple math and not get crazy with 100 different ingredients for one recipe. You probably have most of the ingredients for this already. You can even make everything in advance and easily just heat it up when you’re ready to eat.
Only 7 Ingredients!
This chicken and rice recipe has a comfort food kind of feel, but doesn’t use any highly processed ingredients. Here are the 7:
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Chicken Stock (get the homemade chicken stock recipe here)
3 Super Awesome Time Saving Tips:
1. Make a big pot of rice ahead of time and use it throughout the week when needed.
2. Use rotisserie chicken. You can also use leftover shredded chicken. So much easier than cooking it the night of when time is tight!
3. You can even sauté the mushrooms beforehand if you’d like. Then literally just throw everything together when you’re ready to eat.
- 3-8oz packages of mushrooms, any kind, sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (or 1 rotisserie chicken)
- Saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for about 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add flour, increase heat to medium, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken stock. Simmer on medium/low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the mushrooms are done, throw them into the gravy.
- Meanwhile, reheat rice and chicken.
- Serve rice in bowls, topped with chicken, and pour gravy on top. Enjoy!
Thanks to the Recipe ReDux for this 7 ingredient challenge this month! Check out the other delicious and simple 7-ingredient-or-less recipes below!