Hi friends! This month’s Recipe Redux theme challenged us to make dinner-inspired recipes for breakfast. Here in Kosovo, I’ve been seeing these huge bags full of peppers at the farmers market, so I picked one up and made these delicious Breakfast Stuffed Peppers.
The peppers I used were a bit small and didn’t hold the egg well, but if you use traditional large bell peppers that you can find in the states it will hold the egg much better.
Tip: Make the stuffed peppers for dinner (without the egg). Then for breakfast, crack an egg on top of the dinner leftovers and pop them in the oven for a quick breakfast. If there isn’t enough room at the top for an egg, you could also cook the egg separately and just place it on top.
- 4 large bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped small
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped small
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped small
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cannellini beans
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 1 package cream cheese (200 grams)
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make rice according to package directions and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. Place open side up in a baking dish and roast for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion, carrots, and mushrooms in olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Reduce heat to low. Add beans, cumin, cayenne, and rice. Stir to combine. Add cream cheese and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove peppers from onion and spoon filling into them, leaving enough space at the top for an egg. Use a spoon to make a depression at the top.
- Crack an egg into the depressions and return to oven for about 10 minutes, until the whites are set.